Re: Proto 2000 53'6" AAR 50 ton flat car

lsittler

Ed- Thanks very much. That answers my questions. The model is painted black with white lettering. Any chance you have the builder’s photo of 13701 so I could compare the lettering between that car and the model?  If not, no problem. In any event, this is looking like an easy project. The kit I got will make a beautiful model. It’s very well done. Les

From: Ed Hawkins
Sent: Friday, April 15, 2022 11:12 AM
To: main@realstmfc.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Proto 2000 53'6" AAR 50 ton flat car

On Apr 14, 2022, at 7:40 PM, lsittler <lsittler@...> wrote:

Hi  All- So  I got a good deal on one of these cars but it was lettered for MKT 13719. I've been thinking this car is a foobie and was going to repaint it for another road such as the NKP. However, my ORER for 1961 shows that the MKT had cars in series 13701-13725 which seem to match the dimensions of this car. Can anyone help here? Les Sittler

Les,
The 25 M-K-T flat cars in question were built 4-54 in ACF lot no. 4213. The builder photo of 13701 indicates they follow the 50-ton AAR flat car design in all respects. According to available ACF painting information, the body was painted black with white stencils. The wood floors were not painted.

These M-K-T 53’-6” cars used the same ACF drawings as 200 KCS flat cars 1000-1199 built 3-54 in lot 4205, which were also painted black except with aluminum stencils.
Regards,
Ed Hawkins