Re: Gondolas With Lumber Loads

Bill Keene

I have been away from this thread for a day, but someone mentioned that the lumber was being unloaded … I assume the statement referenced unloading from ship to rail. Looking at the photos and the maritime history of steam schooners I believe that not to be the case.

I believe that the lumber is being loaded onto the ships. Not unloaded. PNW lumber would be shipped down the west coast to supply the needs of the growing towns on these western shores. Lumber was also shipped across the Pacific Ocean to such places as Australia, New Zealand, the south pacific islands, and the Hawaiian Islands. Some lumber was shipped through the Panama Canal to Atlantic Coast ports and even across the Atlantic Ocean.

Cheers,
Bill Keene
Irvine, CA