Unpainted roofs a new method (to me at least)

Charlie Duckworth

 Ed Hawkins and I exchanged emails on the roofs on the CB&Q 40’ Intermountain boxcar I’m building.  The car built by the railroad are thought to have been unpainted galvanized panels. The ribs were steel and being prone to rust were (probably) painted.  I wanted to break up the colors of the panels slightly and used Vallejo white, sea grey and blue to vary the hues.  Obviously some of the grey paint ended up on the ribs so I used a sewing needle in a pin vise and was able to scribe it along the raised area of the rib and the flat panel.  This cleaned up the paint and I could use the pin to scrape off any paint on the rib as well.

Here’s a couple images.

--
Charlie Duckworth
Omaha, Ne.