Re: Railroad salvage: Mather Hygrade reefer

Paul Doggett

Charlie

More great work they look really good.

Paul Doggett.     England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

On 11 May 2022, at 02:09, Charlie Duckworth <omahaduck@...> wrote:

Growing up in Kansas City I remember my folks hitting the local railroad salvage store to see what had survived the latest derailment.  Here’s my own railroad salvage; a Red Caboose Mather reefer that’s taken 10-12 years of ops sessions abuse.  It was missing the vertical brake staff, several of the steps were missing (one survived) but it was the only Mather reefer on the layout and the leasee name was accurate.  Looking at Ted’s refrigerator car book I added Andrews trucks and airbrushed the carbody with a thinned down coat of Dullcote with a few drops of black and brown added.  After the Dullcote dried I scraped off a few boards to show those being replaced and darkened a couple others for grain variations.  Ted’s book showed a Mather car with some of the paint peaking off the side of the panels so I tried to replicate that with a light gray.

77749B5F-03A7-4C76-A4EF-DD781AEC0E0B.jpeg3DA0DAD9-22EB-469D-865F-E7EF063D38F2.jpegA5D8B79E-88CB-491F-84A7-28537287E3AE.jpegC0ED08A0-4F02-41F9-AEA8-73AD21ADFAD4.jpeg
--
Charlie Duckworth
Omaha, Ne.