Re: early insulated tank car

Ray Breyer

There are actually a few prototypes (MCHX is in a museum, I think St. Louis). I've attached all of the photos I have of this type of tank car. Note that most of them are post-WWI builds, with the bulk of them being built during WWII. Mostly, they were used to transport nitric acid.

Ray Breyer
Elgin, IL

On Thursday, May 12, 2022, 09:44:45 AM CDT, Daniel A. Mitchell <danmitch@...> wrote:

Yes, it has a prototype.

Dan Mitchell

On May 12, 2022, at 10:15 AM, Ray Hutchison <rayhutchison2@...> wrote:

There is an interesting Ambroid kit of an early insulated tank car, shown below, also released as a Northeastern kit.  (Brass Trains has a built model of this, listed as brass but clearly the Ambroid kit, same decals and obvious builders error, for $225 ).  I would like to determine if this was a foobie (which I think would be uncommon for an Ambroid kit) as I have not been able to find any photographs of the car.  And if it is not a foobie, where there might be a builders diagram of the actual car.  Thank you for any leads...

<Screen Shot 2022-05-12 at 9.09.52 AM.png>