Re: early insulated tank car

Steve and Barb Hile

MCHX 117 is in the NMOT in St. Louis.  I took some pictures there in 2013.

The interior was/is accessible and I walked through it.

I was not surprised to see the round headed rivets on the interior.  But was surprised that they were also round headed on the exterior of the tank.  And that the wagon top cover was open at the bottom!

I wish that I knew better exactly what the jacket was designed to accomplish.  I think that it is less about insulation and more about containment of “lighter than air” vapors while in transit.

Steve Hile