Re: early insulated tank car

Steve SANDIFER

The car at St. Louis is NCHX #117, Monsanto Chemicals Company, 1940. Built by AC&F for Monsanto, 8000 gallon, double hull car designed for transporting concentrated nitric acid. The inner tank is constructed of an aluminum alloy which is protected by a cushion of air and a steel outer shell. Donated in 1961.

J. Stephen Sandifer

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Richard Townsend via groups.io
Sent: Thursday, May 12, 2022 6:35 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] early insulated tank car

Yes, with a printed paper wrapper to go over a milled wood core. Red Ball called it an acetic acid tank car. I have a kit but have not tried to build it yet. The tank ends are cast metal, as are the underframe and the dome.

Richard Townsend

Lincoln City, OR

-----Original Message-----
To: main@realstmfc.groups.io
Sent: Thu, May 12, 2022 4:03 pm

Didn't Red Ball at one time offer a model of the Monsanto car?

Drew Marshall in sunny South Philly

On May 12, 2022, at 18:21, Steve SANDIFER <steve.sandifer@...> wrote:

Monsanto car at the museum in St. Louis.

J. Stephen Sandifer

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Ray Breyer via groupsio
Sent: Thursday, May 12, 2022 12:12 PM
To: main@realstmfc.groups.io; main@RealSTMFC.groups.io

There are actually a few prototypes (MCHX is in a museum, I think St. Louis). I've attached all of the photos I have of this type of tank car. Note that most of them are post-WWI builds, with the bulk of them being built during WWII. Mostly, they were used to transport nitric acid.

Ray Breyer
Elgin, IL

On Thursday, May 12, 2022, 09:44:45 AM CDT, Daniel A. Mitchell <danmitch@...> wrote:

Yes, it has a prototype.

Dan Mitchell

==========

On May 12, 2022, at 10:15 AM, Ray Hutchison <rayhutchison2@...> wrote:

There is an interesting Ambroid kit of an early insulated tank car, shown below, also released as a Northeastern kit  (Brass Trains has a built model of this, listed as brass but clearly the Ambroid kit, same decals and obvious builders error, for $225 ).  I would like to determine if this was a foobie (which I think would be uncommon for an Ambroid kit) as I have not been able to find any photographs of the car.  And if it is not a foobie, where there might be a builders diagram of the actual car.  Thank you for any leads...

<Screen Shot 2022-05-12 at 9.09.52 AM.png>

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.