Re: Rapido USRA double sheath and single sheath boxcar question

Tim O'Connor

I love the stencil on this one in 1972 - It's an X26F rebuild of course, but it's age hasn't changed. :-)

On 5/14/2022 10:13 AM, Brian Carlson via groups.io wrote:
Based on ORER data 3 Pennsy X26 made 1963 in revenue series. However, I’d take that with a grain of salt. They probably weren’t actually in service, just stored not yet white-lined.

Face it, unmodified USRA cars in the 60’s are unlikely.

Brian J. Carlson

On May 14, 2022, at 10:04 AM, Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...> wrote:

I don't know of any USRA double sheathed cars that survived un-rebuilt in the 1960's. There
were still a few all-steel rebuilds but that's a whole other subject.

The only single sheathed USRA cars I know survived more or less intact into the 1960's were
the D&H cement cars which received hatches and hopper bottoms. (Tichy kit)

Tim O'Connor

On 5/14/2022 3:37 AM, Jim Mischke wrote:

Eric,

I find that the RPCycs cut off at 1960.   By publisher and author expressed intent.    Like a certain freight car group.

There is no information about freight car lives beyond 1960 in images or narrative.  Not even a hint.

If a researcher seeks 1960's information on old freight cars, one must build on an RPCyc article with additoinal research.

Certainly Rapido used all available resources in their product research.   I would surmise that we might see more USRA-derived boxcars from Rapido.   As prolific as they are, they do not mind some tooling commonalities.    I have no inside information on this.

Jim

Sterling, Massachusetts