Re: Repack interval

Nelson Moyer

Tony’s Modeling the SP blog has entries on reweigh requirements for different car classes and eras.

Nelson Moyer

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Tim O'Connor
Sent: Saturday, May 14, 2022 9:55 AM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Repack interval

Jack, reweighing is not the same thing as lubrication of the bearings. Mandatory reweigh intervals were measured in years
but the bearings required much more frequent maintenance. I don't know if this was an AAR thing, or whether the ICC or
other government agency required it. Guy Wilber would know! :-)

Tim O'Connor

On 5/14/2022 10:47 AM, Jack Burgess wrote:

Correct...

I have the attached list of dates, etc. taped just about my workbench. Note that I model 1939 so some of them might not be correct for much later modeling dates.

Jack Burgess

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Eric Hansmann
Sent: Saturday, May 14, 2022 5:15 AM
To: main@realstmfc.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Repack interval

From what I recall in discussions here, this was an annual interval unless it was needed beforehand. The repack stencil for date and location would be reapplied after the work was completed. 

Eric Hansmann

Murfreesboro, TN

On May 13, 2022, at 5:50 PM, greg kennelly <greg_kennelly@...> wrote:

Was there a regulated interval for repacking plain journals in the early 1950s?  If not, what was a typical interval, please?  I am hoping to be able to use repack dates to get realistic estimates of the dates of some tank car photos.
Thanks,
Greg Kennelly

Attachments:

--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.