Re: Repack interval

Dave Parker

The question of repack (not reweigh) interval has been addressed here on at least two occasions -- see threads beginning with #67797 and #106475.  These include weigh-ins from both Bob Karig and Guy Wilber.  The short answer is that that, starting in 1929, the interval seemingly went from 12 to 15 to 14 to 18 months.

I must disagree, however, that there was no prescribed interval prior to 1929.  This is from the 1920 MCB Code of Rules, rule 66:

A bit later, the rule states that if the car is on an RIP track, and it has been >9 months since the last repack, that a repack should be done at that time.

Last, the 12-month interval seems to have had its roots in an MCB Recommended Practice (a different beast than the CoRs), but I have never bothered to track down when that came into existence.

Hope this helps.

--
Dave Parker
Swall Meadows, CA