Re: AAR Rules

Guy Wilber

Dennis Storzek wrote:

“Likely the problem was introduced by Richard paraphrasing the actual text of the rule; someone (mot me) who cares about that era needs to find the actual text and make the correction.”

We’ve discussed the prohibition in interchange of non-integral side frames several times on this list; such side frames were never prohibited in interchange within the time span of this list.  I'm not sure where the confusion came from as to prohibiting non-integral side frames as there is no reference to integral or non-integral side frames within Rule 3.  Rule 17 clearly states that either type can be swapped for the other and read the same through 1960.

1957 Rule 3, Section (t), Paragraph (3-b)  Effective January 1, 1956, cast-steel truck side frames having "I", "T" or "L" section compression or tension members, prohibited under all cars.  From owners.  Effective January 1, 1957, this requirement will apply to all cars in interchange.

1958 Rule 3, Section (t), Paragraph (3-a) (amended)  Cast-steel side frames having "I", "T" or "L" section compression or tension members, prohibited under all cars.  In interchange.

1958 Rule 17, Section (o)  U section side frames may be substituted for each other, providing capacity and wheel base correspond and truck is made safe and serviceable.  The substitution of integral for non-integral types is permissible.  Column guide clearance standard to car must be maintained.  The above substitutions only will be considered as correct repairs, charges and credits to be on basis of material applied and removed.

Guy Wilber
Reno, Nevada

_._,_._,_

Guy Wilber