Re: AAR Rules

Guy Wilber

Dennis wrote:

"However, I felt that his explanation of how the standard charges for repairs worked, a topic that, to my knowledge, has never been discussed here, was worth the exposure and discussion. Indeed, just today someone seemed confused how a car could be repacked on a foreign line, and the answer is simple... it's due (which is why the date of the last RPKD is stenciled on the car) do it and bill the car owner."

One of the essential fundamentals of the Interchange Rules was that foreign cars were to be treated in the same manner as home cars.  All billing costs, both labor and parts, are listed within the Interchange Rules....any time you (or anyone) has a question regarding that aspect I will do my best to answer.  The procedural part is easy and I agree that Mr. Dawson did a nice summary of the process.

"As to side agreements to handle non-compliant cars, someplace I ran into a reference That one of the major Canadian roads agreed to handle non-compliant cars for the Pacific Great Eastern to the Vancouver docks, but not beyond the Vancouver switching district. I imagine the PGE was a signatory to the AAR Interchange agreement, but also had lots of non-compliant cars; this would allow more of their meager roster to service their traffic. The problem is, since I don't remember where I saw it, I can't say for sure if it was pre-1960."

You unknowingly answered your own question.  As long as non compliant cars remained within a switching district to be loaded or unloaded it was permitted.  NO use in interchange.  There may very well have been exceptions, but those were VERY minimal.  Pacific Great Eastern was a subscriber to the Interchange Rules.

Guy Wilber
Reno, Nevada