Re: Rapido USRA double sheath and single sheath boxcar question

Bruce Smith

Bill,

First, we’re really talking about cars with composite (steel and wood) or wood superstructures. While wood sheathing is applied to the interior of steel cars, they are not referred to as “double sheathed”, even if they really are. The sheathing consists of boards that are used to create the walls, floor, and sometimes roof, of the car.  On a single sheathed car, there is typically a single layer of boards that form both the inside lining and the outside “sheathing” of the car. These were typically attached to the inside of the metal superstructure (bracing) of the car, generating the modeling term “outside braced boxcar”.  On a double sheathed car, sheathing was attached to both the inside (liner) and outside (car body sheathing) of the car superstructure bracing. This provided greater protection from the weather for delicate loads that needed to be kept dry. In addition, it might be insulated, providing some level of temperature control.

Thus, on a practical level, single sheathed cars can be recognized by the visible exterior bracing, while double sheathed cars typically have a wood sided exterior with the bracing hidden behind the sheathing.

Regards,

Bruce Smith

Auburn, AL

From: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of "wrlyders via groups.io" <blyders@...>
Reply-To: "main@RealSTMFC.groups.io" <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>
Date: Monday, May 16, 2022 at 11:53 AM
To: "main@RealSTMFC.groups.io" <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>
Subject: [EXT] Re: [RealSTMFC] Rapido USRA double sheath and single sheath boxcar question

CAUTION: Email Originated Outside of Auburn.

This thread seems to have morphed into a “which single and double sheathed box cars cars made it thru the Transition era into the 60s”.

I have done some searches on sheathed box cars and know they were built in the 1910s thru WWII and lasted into the 50s.

I have a Northeastern Models single sheathed box car to build.

But I have a more basic question: What is a single sheathed box car vs. a double sheathed box car”? What is the sheathing?

Thanks, Bill

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Ted Larson via groups.io
Sent: Monday, May 16, 2022 7:46 AM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Rapido USRA double sheath and single sheath boxcar question

As a kid I watched many GN trains go through town full of old SS and DS cars.  For online grain service they could have been at work past their interchange life? 

--
Ted Larson
Trainweb.org/MHRR   ---   GN in 1965   ---   NASG.org 

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.