Re: PFE 9245x R-30-5 in April 1943 - still in late 1920s paint?

Robert kirkham

Hi Al,

I’m pretty sure that green is not a colour-shifted version of chocolate brown.  There is a sea of brown around the car, so i think the film was in the ballpark and the car was actually green.   My understanding of Brunswick green is that it is a bit of yellow added to black, and i would contrast that with the colour used on this reefer, which is brighter/lighter.   Of note, it is a very fresh coat of paint, or recently varnished or waxed - you can see the reflection of the cyilindrical white tank car on the shiny surface of the paint on the reefer (in the vicinity of the 67 in the car number).

Rob

On May 16, 2022, at 9:15 AM, al_brown03 <abrown@...> wrote:

On the subject of color shifts in old photos: understanding that the Mars car is actually chocolate brown, my first reaction was "Brunswick green".

Al Brown, Melbourne, Fla.