Re: AAR Rules

greg kennelly

Dennis Storek wrote:
"As to side agreements to handle non-compliant cars, someplace I ran into a reference That one of the major Canadian roads agreed to handle non-compliant cars for the Pacific Great Eastern to the Vancouver docks, but not beyond the Vancouver switching district. I imagine the PGE was a signatory to the AAR Interchange agreement, but also had lots of non-compliant cars; this would allow more of their meager roster to service their traffic. The problem is, since I don't remember where I saw it, I can't say for sure if it was pre-1960."

Guy Wilbur replied:
"You unknowingly answered your own question.  As long as non compliant cars remained within a switching district to be loaded or unloaded it was permitted.  NO use in interchange.  There may very well have been exceptions, but those were VERY minimal.  Pacific Great Eastern was a subscriber to the Interchange Rules."

Some time between December 1930 and July 1934, a statement appeared in the PGE's ORER listings that "Freight Cars owned are not employed in Interstate Commerce" and lasted until
it was replaced with "Freight Cars owned are used only in Switching Service with direct connections" some time between January 1938 and October 1939.  That statement continued in the ORERs until sometime between January 1959 and July 1966 (the latter being "beyond the end of time" for this list).  Until Autumn 1952, the PGE's only direct connection was with the CPR at Vancouver, BC (via car barge from Squamish, BC).  Although the PGE established a direct connection with CN at Prince George, BC, in the Autumn of 1952, it did not appear in the ORER until sometime between April 1953 and January 1954.  Sometime between January 1955 and April 1958, the ORER began to show connections at Squamish, BC, with UP (via Island Tug & Barge) and CMStP&P (via Foss Tug & Launch), with both barge services terminating at Seattle.

Greg Kennelly