Re: Adding patches and light weights to finished models

Bruce Smith

Ed,

Indeed, and as we have oft discussed here, a limited but real number of those reweighs occurred offline and so should have a "foreign" reweigh station code when compared to the owner of the car (about 10%). 

The paint out/re-stencil also varied. It could be the entire block (sometime, but rarely including the CAPY lettering and data), it could be the entire data for LT WT and LD LMT, or it could be just the last 3, or 4 digits of the LT WT and LD LMT (typically, the last 3, since weight to the nearest 100 lbs is what counted but if the LT WT of the car was near 100 or 900 in the last 3 digits, a change down or up, respectively, could generate a change in the 4th from last digit). As a consequence, when a LT WT is in that range, I will occasionally reflect that with a 4 digit block of re-stenciled data.

And of course, I make sure that my LT WT and LD LMT always add up to the correct max weight for the bearings/axles, unless the car is specially labeled to a fixed LD LMT (typically starred).

Regards,
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of Edward <edb8381@...>
Sent: Saturday, May 21, 2022 8:44 AM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>
Subject: [EXT] Re: [RealSTMFC] Adding patches and light weights to finished models

CAUTION: Email Originated Outside of Auburn.
Just a note here.
\When a car is reweighed and re-stenciled, both the LDLMT and LTWT are done, along with the weigh station's code and date. 
Those two measurements are interrelated and based on the carrying capacity of the journals in the trucks.

For example, a 100,000 LB capacity 40' car has a combined LD LMT and LT WT of 169,000 LBS minus the LT WT to get the stenciled LD LMT amount.
So, when adding LD LMT and LT WT together, you get the maximum rating for the journals.

There is a chart that tells the maximum lading is for various sized journal bearings.
A larger journal size for a 100,000 LB capacity could be 177,000 LBS.

On re-stenciling, the patch would contain the numbers for LD LMT and LT WT with the weigh code and date is a fresher patch and is sometimes done on a non-matching paint field, especially if re-weighed off the home road.
Ed Bommer

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.