Re: Brass Steam Locomotives that Pull Freight Cars.

Tim O'Connor

Unfortunately many HO scale model mechanisms are not very good or long lasting. But with knowledge
and some skills many can be rebuilt to run like the proverbial Swiss watch. But throughout the era of brass
imports from the 1950's to the present (well over 20,000 models) there are many examples of excellent
mechanisms. Many now fail because of materials that degraded naturally, plastics and rubber especially.

And early brass has the virtue that it's far easier to repair! I am terrified to try and take apart a Challenger
or recent Precision Scale articulated, for example. :-)

Tim O'Connor

On 5/21/2022 3:44 PM, Tony Thompson wrote:
Older brass steam can barely pull itself, much less a train.  I think they were built for show rather than running.

There are examples of this but plenty of older (pre-1970) brass that pulls wonderfully.

Tony Thompson

Sterling, Massachusetts