Cheers,
Bill Keene
Irvine, CA

On May 26, 2022, at 8:20 AM, Steve SANDIFER <steve.sandifer@...> wrote:

Watermelons, potatoes, tomatoes, oranges.

J. Stephen Sandifer

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Charlie Duckworth
Sent: Thursday, May 26, 2022 8:57 AM
To: main@realstmfc.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Photo: Watermelons In Livestock Car (Undated)

I’ve got a series of photos in the M-I book of tomatoes being loaded in MP stock cars and one ART reefer in southern Illinois. What’s interesting is a portable scale being used to weigh the pickup trucks and wagons loaded and I assume weighed again light to get the net weight.

On Thu, May 26, 2022 at 8:46 AM Eric Hansmann <eric@...> wrote:
Bushel baskets of peaches, apples, and tomatoes are probable candidates. These may have been stacked only two or three baskets high. It also depends upon the weather along the destination route.

When the harvest comes in and there’s a shortage of reefers or ventilated box cars, stock cars would be pressed into service.

Eric Hansmann
Murfreesboro, TN