Re: Photo: Watermelons In Livestock Car (Undated)

Bill Keene

I have been told that the MKT also shipped cantaloupes north from Texas in stock cars. Unfortunately, I do not have any documentation on this. 

I believe that cantaloupes and watermelons were loaded on a bedding of straw. 

Cheers,
Bill Keene
Irvine, CA

On May 26, 2022, at 8:20 AM, Steve SANDIFER <steve.sandifer@...> wrote:

Watermelons, potatoes, tomatoes, oranges.

J. Stephen Sandifer

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Charlie Duckworth
Sent: Thursday, May 26, 2022 8:57 AM
To: main@realstmfc.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Photo: Watermelons In Livestock Car (Undated)

I’ve got a series of photos in the M-I book of tomatoes being loaded in MP stock cars and one ART reefer in southern Illinois. What’s interesting is a portable scale being used to weigh the pickup trucks and wagons loaded and I assume weighed again light to get the net weight. 

On Thu, May 26, 2022 at 8:46 AM Eric Hansmann <eric@...> wrote:
Bushel baskets of peaches, apples, and tomatoes are probable candidates. These may have been stacked only two or three baskets high. It also depends upon the weather along the destination route.

When the harvest comes in and there’s a shortage of reefers or ventilated box cars, stock cars would be pressed into service. 

Eric Hansmann
Murfreesboro, TN

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Robert G P
Sent: Wednesday, May 25, 2022 6:50 PM
To: main@realstmfc.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Photo: Watermelons In Livestock Car (Undated)

I know this was done as late as the 40s, any insight on how long it lasted and what other produce was shipped this way? Pumpkins I bet. 

-Bob G.P

-- 
Charlie Duckworth 
Omaha, Ne. 

<MKT 47240 stockcar watermelons.jpg><Kaw Valley potatoes, linwood, Leavenworth County KS, KSHS.jpg><PRR 134299 stockcar Tomato racks interior.jpg><1923 Virden California Citrus.jpg>

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.