Re: Brass Steam Locomotives that Pull Freight Cars.

william darnaby

I have stayed away from this because it is really off topic but I will stick my toe in this just once.  The core of my steam fleet is 12 Halllmark IC 4-8-2's that have been considerably redetailed and re-geared.  The boilers are full of lead shot and weigh at least 2 pounds.  Needless to say, for those with experience, the axle bearings and springing is crude as the bearings are bronze tubes and the springing is a piece of .010 stainless wire spanning all of the bearings.  It works but I periodically have to replace the wire as it can take a set.  This becomes apparent when the loco lends to lean to one side.  I wish the springing was more conventional but it doesn't seem worth the effort to make the conversion.  I can always put GP9's in service if I have to.

And don't get me started about those damnable English Whitworth siderod screws.

Bill Darnaby