Re: Photo: Watermelons In Livestock Car (Undated)

Doug Paasch

In addition to using stock cars for fruit, they were also pressed into service during the grain rush.  Of course for that they were steam cleaned and lined with cardboard, tarps, possibly plywood or whatever worked to enclose the grain.

Doug Paasch

On Thu, May 26, 2022, 6:29 PM Charles Etheredge <ceth512@...> wrote:
Back in the 1920-50's (for sure),  a LOT of watermelons were loaded on stock cars out of Hempstead, Texas.   That area was one, if not THE hub  of the watermelon areas of the state..
I have a picture somewhere of a dozen or more cattle cars waiting to be loaded with a bunch of horse drawn wagons full of melons.  I've eaten a bunch of Hempstead melons.   Droll......