From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Dave Nelson
Sent: Monday, May 30, 2022 8:48 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Photo: Watermelons In Livestock Car (Undated)

Steve, which ICC report had that data?

Dave Nelson

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Steve SANDIFER
Sent: Monday, May 30, 2022 1:30 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io

You could always limit the use of the stock cars for watermelons to the month of May or June, then put them away until the next year.

A lot of melons came out of Hempstead, TX and Luling, TX. Luling still has an annual celebration known as the “Watermelon Thump.”  http://newsite.watermelonthump.com/  Both of these were on the SP and the SP used stock cars for this purpose.

In researching my stock car book I found documentation about the construction of a siding and stock pen in Peters, TX, just north of Sealy, on the ATSF. The railroad later removed the stock chute when there had been no shipments of cattle for 6 years in order to reduce the taxable value but kept the siding because it was used to ship carloads of watermelons every year.

In 1955 the ICC reported that watermelons were the #4 product shipped in stock cars. But again, a very small number in comparison.

Cattle & Horses

261,100

61%

Hogs