Re: UP A-50-16 Correction Decals for Trix DD Boxcar

Bryian Sones

Ken,

The A-50-16 had a welded underframe.
If you are not going to model the underbody accurately and need something just to go under it nicely.....
I would use the Accurail Steel underframe. It matches up to the car fairly decent.
There is little to no sanding to get it to drop in.

If you want to take it a slight step further... Remove the rivets on the underframe and add some styrene strips to the underframe braces and at a glance it will look like a welded underframe.

Bryian Sones
Union Pacific Prototype Modeler
Murrieta, CA

On Tuesday, May 31, 2022, 04:36:14 PM PDT, Ken Adams <smadanek44g@...> wrote:

Ignore the last paragraph.  I had not waited long enough and a second application of ELO did remove the new date quite neatly without damage to the underlying paint.  It will take some time to remove the lettering and not damage the excellent base paint coat.

Photos may follow.  I have yet to make a decision about the floor and underframe The floor is a metal casting coupler in knockoff of a Kadee NEM knuckle coupler in an NEM pocket on a floating  device to allow going around toy train 15 inch radius curves. Using a regular IM boxcar floor and underframe has been suggested but I am not sure I want to do all that work. This is still a two foot or more viewing distance model and I don't think it would be switched into the tiny SP Port Costa yard unless it was bad ordered.  The coupler is attached to the floor not the truck as in a Talgo style arrangement so would not present any operational difficulties being pulled in a through train.
__

Ken Adams
Omicron BA2.2 may come and go but I still live mostly in splendid Shelter In Place solitude
Location: About half way up Walnut Creek