Re: Three Old SP Boxcars (Undated)

Nolan Hinshaw

On May 31, 2022, at 13:11, Douglas Harding <iowacentralrr@...> wrote:

The photo description says 2' bolts. Being this is a lumber train in Oregon, I suspect shingle bolts, for making wood shingles. Most likely cedar.
It's most likely Thuja plicata, the PNW endemic cedar. Note the genus - not cedrus, but the same family - a cousin, as it were to the so-called "true" cedars. California incense cedar (calcocedrus decurrens, reclassified from Libocedrus behind my back several decades ago) is a similar cousin, and just as delightful.

As far as I can tell they're still commercially-viable species and form non-trivial proportions of the rail-born lumber traffic in the US.
--
Little Willie from the mirror sucked the mercury all off
Thinking in his childish error it would cure his whooping cought.