Re: Accurail MKT 36’ boxcar

Dennis Storzek <dennis@...>

On Wed, Jun 8, 2022 at 08:31 PM, Jason P wrote:
Dennis,
Thank you for your reply! I figured it was a long shot but thought I'd at least ask. I don't know of any of those kits available locally to get a close-up look but it appears the doors are molded into the shell meaning they would have to be cut out and partially filled in to install a man door for a camp car. If so, I assume the only way to get a good match on filling in the door opening would be to cut up the sides of another donor body. I'm not sure if the Evergreen car siding would be close enough or not. Are the 40ft reefer sides sold on the parts page tooled o have the same board profile as the 36ft double sheathed boxcars?
Actually, since I liked the look of the Evergreen car siding and the grooves are almost exact scale, I used the same dimensions, so the Evergreen product should match quite well. Anyway, if it looks like a patch, it would have been a patch on the full size car, so this is actually good.

The Tichy and Grandt Line outfit car windows are all small, to fit between the posts and braces, which are obvious on a single sheathed car, but remember, the double sheathed cars had the same structure in their walls. Railroad shops typically didn't like to remove or cut structural members and weaken the car.

Dennis Storzek