Re: Photo: Standard Coal Company Box Car Unloader (1914)

Eric Hansmann

I wonder how many box car doors came off their track while rocking on these type of unloaders. I often come across photos and damage reports on door issues in the pre-1930 decades.

Eric Hansmann
Murfreesboro, TN

On Jun 9, 2022, at 3:16 PM, Douglas Harding <iowacentralrr@...> wrote:

During the steam era most roads west of the Mississippi preferred gons over open hoppers for coal. In winter months they used boxcars, esp the northern roads, to prevent rain/snow freezing the coal. Boxcar loaders were used for loading.
There was a company in Ottumwa Iowa (heart of Iowa coal country) that made boxcar loaders and unloaders.
IH also made a loader.
Of course labor was cheap in those days, so laborers with shovels were also common.

Photos attached.

Doug Harding
Youtube: Douglas Harding Iowa Central Railroad