Re: Photo: Standard Coal Company Box Car Unloader (1914)

Bruce Hendrick

Thanks to all for the additional information. I was surprised that coal freezing was an issue. I would have thought a winter’s supply of coal would be in place long before the harsh weather

I certainly know of similar tight-bottom hopper operations but hadn’t heard of these unloaders for boxcars as described by the other Bruce I would imagine the tilting back & forth to get coal to pour out an open door would create great wear & tear on the cars.

Thanks again,

Bruce Hendrick