Re: Photos: Boxcar Being Lowered At Hoover Dam (Circa 1931-1935)

Tim O'Connor

At the very bottom of the dam along the river was a broad concrete platform and just inside were the gigantic
generators and other machinery and I vaguely recall from my 1961 visit as a child that there was rail embedded
in the concrete. So yeah there were probably many such moves from the top to the bottom.

Tim O'Connor

On 6/11/2022 3:52 PM, Daniel A. Mitchell wrote:
Another possibility is that they may have short section(s) of temporary track at the bottom, and it might be useful to be able to easily move the the car and it’s contents to various locations. That’s not particularly unusual. They sometimes swung and lowered small locomotives into similar sites for moving such cars about.

Dan Mitchell

Sterling, Massachusetts