Re: Branchline UTLX Wood Reefer

O Fenton Wells

Nicely done Charlie, I didn't realize these cars had the wooden roof.  Cool to know for various kitbashing projects.
Fenton

On Sun, Jun 12, 2022 at 1:08 PM Charlie Duckworth via groups.io <Worth51=duck.com@groups.io> wrote:

I’ve been fighting an infection so lots of indoor time on my second prescription hopefully that kicks it soon as I’m not suppose to be in the sun.   Anyway decided to pass the time by finishing the second Branchline reefer kit that was recently given to me.  I scraped away the reweight date of 1937 and bumped it up to 1953 and changed load limit and tare weights slightly.  I wanted to experiment with the brown Vallejo wash and after a light coat of Dullcote mixed with Black and Tan over the carbody I watched the ‘how to’ video again and added some wash around some of the metal pieces.  Watching other videos on how to make your own washing there’s alcohol in the mixture and it seems to settle into the Dullcote pretty quickly so something to watch using it.   I scraped off the Dullcote on a few boards to break up the sides and aged the roof with gray, brown and black pencils.

As I mentioned with the NWX kit I’d forgot how well these kits were designed. The ice hatch mechanism was very scale like.  Enough typing here’s the car.
--
Charlie Duckworth
Omaha, Ne.

--