Re: Rusty wheels [was] Branchline UTLX Wood Reefer

Dennis Storzek <dennis@...>

On Mon, Jun 13, 2022 at 08:36 AM, Todd Sullivan wrote:
That's interesting about the MILW arrivals.  Did the MILW have more mud in its ballast?
Todd, I'm just tweaking someone's tail, so to speak, but yes, the steam era MILW was ballasted with gravel. I shouldn't be so smug... so was the Soo. In fact, during our era of interest a lot of RR mileage was ballasted with gravel, often "bank run" gravel which included a lot of clay and sand. So to my mind the dominant weathering color for underbodies should have a sandy tanish tone.

Dennis Storzek