Re: Wood grain doors

Robert kirkham

not sure about New England, but in Vancouver BC (which is a long ways from the grain belt) there were dedicated storage buildings for grain doors from sometime in the 1920s until boxcars ceased to be used.  If grain was moving to a flour mill, or export terminal, or anything else, i imagine you’d find them.

Rob

On Jun 20, 2022, at 6:45 AM, Rich Gibson via groups.io <richgibson89@...> wrote:

Hi all, I feel a bit hesitant to ask this, but as a non-granger road modeler, I hope that I will be forgiven…
Over what distance range were grain doors used? Were they used primarily in ‘local’ transport of bulk grain from elevators to mills or could they be found far afield from the bulk grain origin point? As an early 1950’s New England modeler, I’m wondering if a car with grain doors would ever show up in that part of the world.
Thanks for tolerating what might be a stupid question.

Rich Gibson
Golden, CO