Re: Tru-Color Primer Questions

Ken Adams

Kevin

I would beg to disagree about Tamiya nozzles.  The nozzle question has been debated over and over again in non-model railroad modeling forums. There has also been a proliferation of proprietary paint system nozzles.  Some work.  Some don't.

Also, for a variety of reasons including health I do not use an airbrush unless there is absolutely no other alternative. Brush-able acrylics have allowed me to continue model building in model railroading as a hobby. I have and have had many airbrushes over the last 67 years I have been a modeler. I don't particularly care to use them and am able to get most satisfactory results in the same manner as the pre-1950's prototype usually did, by hand brushing. When I need to use a rattle can I go out on my townhouse deck and brave the prevailing wind primarily for primer coats.

And in most cases regardless of the primer I and many others will be brush painting the top coat with an acrylic such as from Vallejo, AK or one of the other brands favored by vehicle, armor and war game modelers. Many other model railroaders are now discovering that brushing is a fast simple alternative for painting rolling stock and structures.

I have tried Tru-Color brushable paints and unfortunately found they did not match the European brands such as Vallejo and AK in leveling ability to eliminate brush stroke marks and single coat coverage.  The long gone Polly Scale was thicker and used to work but in some cases left brush marks. I used to use it primarily on structures.
--
Ken Adams
Omicron BA2.2 may come and go but I still live mostly in splendid Shelter In Place solitude