Re: USAX 11225 Questions

Chris Barkan

Lettered on the right side of the tank is EMERGENCY USGA AC&F CO, .and the built date of 10-42. What is EMERGENCY USGA?

This was a temporary relaxation of tank car construction standards in 1942 for the purpose of building up a fleet of cars to haul crude oil and gasoline until new pipelines could be built to handle the load. Their primary distinguishing trait was  the use of 4-course tank shells.

David Thompson

I am away from most of my reference sources so I cannot check on this, but my recollection is that these emergency cars were constructed of thinner steel plate, thereby conserving material for the war effort.  This is the explanation for the lower safety valve and tank pressure ratings than normal.
--
Chris Barkan
Deerfield, MA