Re: PFE orange reefers about 1950

Tony Thompson

Ed Mines wrote:

From the color Delano photos it looks like many cars needed a new paint job during WWII. In the above video looks like some of the car have been freshly painted.

Tony, did car washing/repainting stop during WWII?

I’m sure it did in general. For PFE, the shop data exist at CSRM., and I have tabulated all of it. For World War II, PFE continued to paint about three-fourths as many cars as in years right before the war and right after — but they had a big rebuilding program (with the blessing of the War Production Board), and those rebuilds were most of the totals. Washing was well down, like a third of what was done before the war.

Tony Thompson