Re: PFE VS SANTA FE ORANGE

Tim O'Connor

Tony

An evasion. :-D  Here is a photo I took indoors with a strong incandescent light source.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/timboconnor/13252874824/

If you saw this car in daylight, you would say it's another color. If you saw it in fluorescent
light, you'd call it another color. I actually thought I had painted this car to be much too dark
and that is how it looks under normal, weak indoor lights. So I was surprised by the results
after I shot this photo!

Anywho, here is what Richard Hendrickson wrote in May 2008.

Ed, in the few surviving color photos from the late '40s and early
'50s that show numerous SFRD cars in the same train or yard, color
varies widely, not because the cars were painted differently but
because of the usual fading, weathering, and accumulations of grime.
The paint used on the sides of SFRD colors MAY have been lighter and
more yellow in the 1920s, but it was essentially the same yellow-
orange on all cars from the mid-1930s through the 1950s.  With the
adoption of the giant herald stenciling scheme beginning in 1959, the
color seems to have shifted to a more orange shade, but that
perception depends on the slides/movies you're looking at, and - of
course - color film reproduction was/is notoriously unreliable as a
guide to actual colors.  During the period that's relevant to most
subscribers to this list, the Santa Fe did not change the color of
the paint used on reefer sides (aside from the usual minor variations
from one batch of paint to another).

Richard Hendrickson

On 6/27/2022 3:43 PM, Tony Thompson wrote:
And again, a poorly lit model. Take that car into bright sunlight, and then tell me what color it is. :-)
I don’t know about you, Tim, but my layout is indoors. Tony

Sterling, Massachusetts