Re: Thoughts on PFE Orange

Jerry Michels

No argument here Tony, but I watched a lot of reefer blocks coming through Laramie, and the shades of color were pretty broad. Although PFE frequently washed their cars, the timeline is important.  A reefer block consisting of a number of smaller blocks gathered from over the system and then high balled to Chicago would show a lot of variation.  I expect it would be even more pronounced as the cars returned.  Nothing like Chicago rain, Wyoming blizzards, and California sun to have their effect.  I agree also that other companies were not as meticulous; ART being a good example.

Off the subject, but after I wrote the MP caboose book, I got similar questions about what color to paint an MP caboose.  My answer is attached..

Jerry