Re: Hide Cars - perhaps not the last wood, however....

Philip Dove

Bones could be made into glue or ground down to bone meal used as fertiliser and in some pet food products. 
I, am guessing tankage might have made sausage casings if it included intestines, chemical substances such as gelatin. Human afterbirth is used to make "rejuvenating" skin products perhaps elements of tankage might end up highly processed as an ingredient in something else. On the other hand it could be the yuckiest most useless parts of slaughtering and just going to be burnt or buried. I have seen animal bits put in a manure spreader and put on the land. 

-------- Original message --------
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2022, 13:37
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Hide Cars - perhaps not the last wood, however....

What would be the final destination of tankage?  Pity the poor workers who had to empty the gon.

Gary Ray

Azle, TX

On 6/30/2022 5:57 PM, Douglas Harding wrote:

Best I can offer is this photo of a gon loaded with horse bones.

Doug Harding

https://www.facebook.com/douglas.harding.3156/

Youtube: Douglas Harding Iowa Central Railroad

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Fritz Milhaupt via groups.io
Sent: Thursday, June 30, 2022 4:37 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Hide Cars - perhaps not the last wood, however....

I've been trying to find a good photo of a gon load of tankage so I can make an outbound load from a meat packing plant.

My most recent effort involved a block of balsa with a layer of white caulk that was sprinkled with bits of red and brown Fimo then topped with semi-clear caulk. I glued some black pepper on top for flies.

It was entirely based on my best guess, since I haven't found a photo to work from.

- Fritz Milhaupt

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.