I’ve been wondering about whether to build an X23 model for a while, without ever noticing the X25 and its variants.  Spent some enjoyable time looking at Rich Orr’s web pages.  At 9600+ cars, it's a sizeable fleet in North America and worth attention.  Its larger than, for example, the CPR mini-box fleet (7500 cars - although with CPR as my home road, the miniboxes need to be routinely visible).

When i was skimming through the MO History web site collection, there was a close up of an open door.  I didn’t take the time to check, but believe it was the same X25 class.  Will send a reference if i can find it again.

Rob

On Jul 2, 2022, at 6:32 AM, Bruce Smith <smithbf@...> wrote:

Rob,

As noted by others, nope, not at all surprised, but then I am very familiar with PRR's boxcar classes and know that the left opening doorway on a steel boxcar (along with the deep fishbelly centersill) are all spotting features of the X25 class. That centersill was inherited from the X23 class (also left opening door). The X25 represents the pioneering class of all-steel boxcars on the PRR. A smaller subclass,. X25A, was built with double doors and an end door for automobile loading service. Unlike the X24 and X28 classes, the X25A kept the same roof height as its general service counterpart (X23, X29 in the other cases). You will note that the main door being left opening is subtly carried over in the X25A (and X24) as these cars have the double door offset to the right, not the left, as you may be used to in later double door automobile cars such as the X28 and X31.

As noted already, Westerfield offers(ed) the X25 and X25A as flat resin kits so no need to kitbash.

Regards,
Bruce
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of Robert kirkham <rdkirkham@...>
Sent: Friday, July 1, 2022 11:53 PM
To: main@realstmfc.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>
Subject: [EXT] Re: [RealSTMFC] PRR X25 was PRR "wrong-way" door car - Photo: New England Alcohol Company Tank Car NEACX 32

lol, that gave me chuckle.  I really thought the quote marks would indicate it wasn’t so much my choice of words as a descriptive label i’ve seen used somewhere else.  First time i’ve been accused of being unnecessarily pejorative to a freight car.  (smiling here, btw - not at all upset to be corrected).  Point taken, i will reform my language choices going forward.   But, tell me for real, were you really surprised to find it was a car with a left opening door.   And was there more than one class of PRR cars that had left opening doors?   (I really don’t know the answer to that, so am curious).

I am grateful that Eric was able to identify the class.  These haven’t been on my radar.  I really like the fishbelly centre sill.   It would make an interesting model; possibly workable as a kitbash?

Rob

On Jul 1, 2022, at 7:43 PM, Bruce Smith <smithbf@...> wrote:

Eric,

Thanks for pointing out that this is an X25. The terminology "wrong way" door is outmoded and inaccurate. There is nothing "wrong" about a left opening door and in fact, it was quite common with the X23 also having a left opening door, along with many other cars of many other roads, so the term is not only unnecessarily pejorative, it is lacking in sufficient detail to identify the car class.

Regards,
Bruce
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL