Re: ATSF reefer colors

Robert kirkham

I think the colour sampling is a useful step.  I’ve done something similar - other side of the coin - with various paint colours sold by Vallejo, AK, Mig, etc, with an eye to figuring how to mix what i see in photos.      

A couple of things i’m trying to think about but don’t have a handle on:

Scale colour - the effect of bringing paint indoors, under layout lighting - and how to choose model paint colours that resemble the appearance of the prototype cars. 

But also, something more about the scene itself:  I wonder how to make colour selections - within a realistic range - that take into account the colour of the scenery i model and the layout lighting.   I ask because our perception of colour is affected by the adjacent colours.  I’m thinking backdrop, ballast, static grass, line-side structures, etc.  I don’t have a mental algorithm that says “my scenery is more in the mountains with blues, grays and greens, so it makes sense to choose car colours that  . . . ; another modeller might say their scenery is more “desert yellows and browns so it makes sense for the freight cars to look . . . “, or “My scenery is urban, with brick red and concrete dominant, so it makes sense for rolling stock to look . . . “  But i think there may be something in that kind of thinking.

So far, experimenting seems a slow process.

rob

On Jul 2, 2022, at 9:59 AM, Nelson Moyer <npmoyer@...> wrote:

Thanks for that photo, Andy. It supports the ‘anything goes’ argument. I color samples a number of prototype and model SFRD reefers and attached the RGB codes and color dots. They pretty much cover the spectrum from yellow to orange. I still haven’t decided which four to use on my reefers.

Nelson Moyer

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Andy Carlson
Sent: Saturday, July 2, 2022 10:30 AM
To: STMFC <realstmfc@groups.io>
Subject: [RealSTMFC] ATSF reefer colors

An interesting view of the differences in "Yellow/Orange"
-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA

<image001.png>

<SFRD Color Matching Paint Chips.docx>

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.