Re: Canadian Pacific Boxcar 230000 With Drop Doors

Robert kirkham

I don’t think the doors are wider Tim; maybe just an illusion from the camera.  The CPR car had a 6’ door opening.  Drawings are available for downloading on the CPHA on line library if you want to do a detailed comparison.

Rob

On Jul 2, 2022, at 3:11 PM, Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...> wrote:

Rob

Yep, that's the model I was thinking of. Ends and roofs are easily replaced, but it looks like the CP
 car has wider doors than the USRA box, so that pretty much changes the side geometry.

On 7/2/2022 6:06 PM, Robert kirkham wrote:
Hi Tim,

I don’t know the D&H prototype, but if this Tichy model is what you’re thinking of, then the answer would be “not really”.

Here are the differences i am quickly aware of:
- incorrect roof (mostly just too thin at the edge),
- roof hatches (not on the CPR car)
- this model has 5/5/5 eds, not the CPR 7/8 ends.
- should be a stem winder brake (there may have been a few cars converted to power brakes before the hoppers were removed, but I doubt it).
- different design of hoppers - CPR cars had a pair of hoppers centred at the doors.  Photos from one of the Railroad magazines of the 1920s show this:

Rob

On Jul 2, 2022, at 1:45 PM, Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...> wrote:

Is this identical to the Tichy D&H box car (USRA converted to cement service) ?

On 7/2/2022 2:21 PM, Bob Chaparro via groups.io wrote:
Canadian Pacific Boxcar 230000 With Drop Doors
Photos from the Old Time Trains website:
“230000 equipped with drop doors for grain loading. 60 ton 3098 cu.ft. built 7/1920 Fort William
Stencil wording below car number reads:
Assigned to special grain service only between Port Mc.Nicoll and West St.John.
NOTE: See 139002 (above) for 36 foot box similarly equipped and assigned. Also, 299690 (below) 40 foot double door.
Bob Chaparro
Hemet, CA

Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts