Re: Photo: Coal Yard Scene (Undated)

Bruce Hendrick

The excellent detail of this image would seem to indicate it was produced from the original glass plate common in the 1800s and known for their great clarity.

Of interest to me was the Hocking Valley boxcar, a line I was not familiar with. A quick internet search indicates its origins date to 1864 as a coal hauling railroad in southern Ohio and that it operated under several names such as Columbus & Hocking Valley and later Hocking Valley before being absorbed into the C&O in 1930. Parts of the line still exist in the CSX system while the Hocking Valley Scenic Railroad provides tourist steam operations today.

The door boards would seem to indicate the HVRR boxcar was used to transport a load of Ohio coal to this Missouri dealer.

Thanks for sharing an interesting image.

Bruce Hendrick