Re: Accurail single sheathed box cars (was CNJ 12000 series)

Dennis Storzek <dennis@...>

On Tue, Jul 5, 2022 at 10:46 AM, Benjamin Hom wrote:
Tim O'Connor wrote:
"The 8 panel is a CN car, originally offered in resin from either Des Plaines Valley or F&C or by the RPI hobby shop.... (the RPI kits were I think cast by F&C, as I think the Yankee Clipper cars were as well)."

Not F&C/RPI, but Des Plaines Valley.  The Des Plaines Valley model represents the CN cars as built, with wooden roof and extra horizontal truss member in the left-most panel.
Actually, that's my old resin kit, done at the request of Stafford Swain. It's actually an older version of the car, built 1916 IIRC, because Staff could not come up with any drawings of the more common post WWI version that the Accurail kit is based on. The Canadian Government Railways cars were intended to be super grain haulers of the day, 9'-0" IH, 9'-0" IW, and rated at 60 tons. They had inside metal roofs, which explains the wood sheathing. Accurail did use one as a 'stand-in' in the first Walthers catalog that listed our  4000 series kits, carefully photographed from a low enough angle that the roof doesn't show.

This kit did go to Des Plaines Hobbies (not valley) with the rest of my resin line.

Dennis Storzek