Re: Flat car ID help please

ROGER HINMAN

I don’t think this is the specific car, but NYCL and probably others had pre WW1 well hole flats what were shorter (36’) and had six wheel trucks. Yours is not a very clear photo but I think I see three journal boxes on the forward truck.There’s a drawing of a similar P&LE flat in the 1912 Car cyc.

Roger Hinman

On Jul 5, 2022, at 3:14 PM, Bruce Smith <smithbf@...> wrote:

Folks,

We need some help in identifying a flat car in the attached photo. No, not the 1st one, that’s too easy! 😉  Rather the second one, carrying the transformer. As noted, the date is 4/7/31 and the location is Detroit’s Springwells Station. One notable feature of the flat is the height of the deck above the coupler housing. The end appears pretty tall (for a flat car). It appears to have 10 stake pockets and is likely about a 40’ car.

Regards,
Bruce
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL<image001.jpg>