Re: maker of small drill bits (#78, #80) for hand drilling resin kits

Dave Parker

On Mon, Jul 11, 2022 at 01:28 PM, Dennis Storzek wrote:
I wonder if a piece of phosphor bronze wire, like Tichy sells, would work, sharpened like this and driven at slow speed by a battery motor tool? They would certainly be cheap enough.
I can't remember if I even tried this with PB wire, but I feel it's too soft.  But a steel guitar string?  You bet.  I generally don't even dress the the tip with a stone.  Cutting it with pair of small dikes makes a working tip.  Just need to keep the exposed part to the wire to a minimum.

And yes, slow.  Santa brought me the slowest speed Foredom tool a couple of Christmases back.  This setup works great in resin (and wood), and acceptably in styrene.  I do a lot with 0.008" grabs, so 0.010" wire is a good choice for the drill.

--
Dave Parker
Swall Meadows, CA