Re: Accurail single sheathed box cars (was CNJ 12000 series)

Ian Cranstone

If you had a specific car series in mind, I can likely find a photo. In general though (if I recall correctly), CN's automobile boxcars had fishbelly centre sills, likely to provide extra strength to compensate for the gap in the body framing to accommodate the wider door opening. CN was known to retrofit power brakes to older cars, but I don't think this program was widespread – especially not prior to most of the earlier (and smaller) automobile cars being rebuilt to conventional boxcars beginning in the mid-1930s with removal of the auxiliary door.

Ian Cranstone
Osgoode, Ontario, Canada
lamontc@...

On 2022-07-12 10:35, Clark Propst via groups.io wrote:

Yesterdays and this mornings work. I screwed up on both car's diagonal side bracing. The MILW car should have one at the top and the bottom corners, but because I left the ladder stiles I could easily add them. The CN should have them at the corner tops, not the bottoms.

I took my 50/50 chance that the CN car had a vertical staff hand brake. Can change it if wrong. I have no idea if they had straight or fishbelly center stills? Anyone know about the underframes and hand brakes for these CN cars?
Clark