Re: 7' wide 10' IH Youngstown door for CRP XM-4

Tim O'Connor

Good idea Andy. To make the cut I lay down sharp edged 3M tape exactly horizontal
and position a single edge razor blade... on a hard surface and thwhack! a single blow
makes the cut. :-)

On 7/14/2022 8:17 PM, Andy Carlson wrote:

The most common of improved Youngstown steel doors was the 5/6/6, used in multible widths for nominal 10'6" height box cars. Two common versions of the YSD was as a 5/6/5 and not as well used, the 4/6/6.

For a 7' wide 5/6/5 YSD, I would not work with the Southwest Scale Models 6' wide version, as that would involve two splice lines-one on each side of the center. A much easier route would be to use a Branchline (Now Atlas) 7' 5/6/6 YSD and simply cuting one panel on the bottom section. I would remove the panel just below the bottom horizontal splice line. Whenever I can, I like to make these changes right on the rib, where the witness line will be essentially unobserved, just like you would do on Stanray Murphy panel roofs.
-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA

On Thursday, July 14, 2022 at 02:55:15 PM PDT, Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...> wrote:

Here's one in 1961 (!) on the M&StL I think.

On 7/14/2022 3:54 PM, nyc3001 . wrote:
Thanks guys. This is a 5-6-5 door as in the below photo.

Tim, I'm not sure about 10'6 IH, but after looking a bit, afaik the CNJ cars might be the only prototype 10' IH.cars with that style of Youngstown door.

-Phil

Attachments:

Sterling, Massachusetts

Attachments: