Re: UTLX Class X Tank Car Build

Nelson Moyer

You can download a brief history and photographs of these cars with information about modifications over the years since they were first built in 1907 from the RCW web page. Rebuilds continued to at least 1937.  I built this car to represent UTLX 16285 because I have a good side view photo. This car was converted to AB brakes, but the single elbow vent was retained. Steve Hile’s tank car book devoted an entire chapter the Class X cars.

The two and three dome cars in the group photo are from SC&F, while the others are from RCW. There’s not much available on the two and three dome cars built by Standard Tank Car Co., but the similar cars built by AC&F are well documented.

Modern tank cars have a uniformity not seen in the steam era after the oil trains of WWII until new and larger cars were built as steel restrictions loosened. To me, one of the attractions of steam era modeling is tank car variety.

I haven’t made a study of refineries in the U.S., but I think there were many small refineries during the steam era that were closed or consolidated into the large refineries we have today. I can’t answer the question about loading facilities and their ability to handle differing car types. Since I don’t model loading facilities, that’s a moot point.

I plan to use the three dome car for deliveries on the branch for small bulk oil dealers stocking multiple products. The other cars are for through East-West trains and block drops in Burlington for transfer to Southbound trains to St. Louis.

Nelson Moyer

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jim Betz
Sent: Saturday, July 16, 2022 11:01 AM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] UTLX Class X Tank Car Build

Nelson/anyone,

First - Nelson this is a good looking build.  (The following is -not- a criticism.)

The variety of Nelson's build prompts me to ask "how similar would the dome plus
the equipment on it be ... for cars in the same service?".  Certainly a three dome
tank would be unlikely to be delivered to the same location as a one.  But would
the variety of domes and hardware on them be likely/possible to be together on a
single loading facility (at a refinery, for example)?

There is a refinery near me that 'ships' out product in both tank cars and pipeline.
I drove past the refinery just yesterday - and the cars waiting to be loaded and/or
picked up by the next outbound move were -highly- similar to each other.  There
were a few different reporting marks but even those were 'mostly the same'.
  Is this a modern thing or does it also describe "our era here on STMFC"?

- Jim in the PNW

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.