Red Caboose killer-was McKean-Accurail box car (

Andy Carlson

Bill told me that the economic hit the on-the-ropes Red Caboose got was from the money spent upgrading the former Front Range 40' box cars. The sales were way below expectations and I would wager that parts for these cars still lanquish in Intermountain's storage. Can't blame all of RC's problems on the FR boxcars though, a lot of the blame falls onto the 57' mechanical PFE Reefer, the R-70-15. Nice car with truck problems, this project was a bullet to the heart for RC.
-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA

On Sunday, July 17, 2022 at 11:16:29 AM PDT, Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...> wrote:

Rich

Yet ANOTHER way is to use the much improved Front Range 4070 box car kits from Red Caboose,
kit # RC-8700. These have vastly improved roofs, doors, underframes, ladders, you name it. The tooling is
now owned by Intermountain, but I don't know if they still offer these fine box car models. :-)

On 7/17/2022 1:27 PM, Richard Remiarz wrote:

Another way of building the 3000-3499 series is using the Front Range 4070 boxcar kits.  These also had an 8’ door, resulting in narrower panels.  As Andy said, putting an 8’ and 7’ door on the McKean/Accurail car results in narrow side panels on either side of the doors.

Rich Remiarz

Sterling, Massachusetts
_._,_._,_