Re: UTLX Class X Tank Car Build

Nelson Moyer

I thought oil trains ran primarily during WWII due to the danger to tankers from U-boats. Blocks of like cars, yes, but unit trains after the war?

Nelson Moyer

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Tim O'Connor
Sent: Monday, July 18, 2022 9:31 AM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] UTLX Class X Tank Car Build

It's really beside the point Dave. The argument was made that tank cars should resemble the
"stair step" of box cars while MOST tank cars for DECADES were plain old single dome 8k
and 10k (I don't care which) and the solid trains of them bore little resemblance to the great
variety of box cars. The SP tank car fleet (in the thousands) was mostly 12,500 gallon cars
but in their context they pretty much looked very similar to one another.

Forest for the trees, fellas.

On 7/18/2022 12:58 AM, Dave Parker via groups.io wrote:

On Sun, Jul 17, 2022 at 03:28 PM, Tim O'Connor wrote:

Large numbers
of 8,000 gallon and lesser numbers of 10,000 gallon tank cars ARA III/ICC103 were predominant
for petroleum transport (the predominant tank car cargo) for several decades.

It would be helpful to know which "several decades" this generalization is being applied to, as well as its basis.  Thanks to Steve's book, we know exactly how many class V, X and X-3 cars UTLX acquired between 1901 and 1937.  The 10,000-gal  cars outnumbered the 8000s by about 4.5 to 1.  Even the 6000/6500-gal cars outnumbered the 8000s by about 2.5 to 1, with the latter only accounting for 12% of the total.

Given the overall size of the UTLX fleet (35,000+ cars from 1930 to 1945), I am curious to know which other fleets were sufficiently dominated by 8000-gal cars to effect the shift to a dominance of that size.  And where the supporting data can be found.

--
Dave Parker
Swall Meadows, CA

Sterling, Massachusetts