Re: UTLX Class X Tank Car Build

Tim O'Connor

Bruce

LOL. WHERE did I say crude was shipped by rail to the east coast, EXCEPT in WWII ?

Most of the refineries were then, and are now, in the three states I mentioned. Most crude oil
movements by rail were short hauls, maybe a few hundred miles, but often much less.

"to the refined eye" .... "more subtle" ... Oh, brother.

On 7/18/2022 11:34 AM, Bruce Smith wrote:

Tim,

You are mistaken in a couple of  important ways.

First, prior to WWII, crude was mostly handled by coastal tankers, not by rail, when shipping to the refineries in the north east.

Second, to the refined eye, there are clear differences between 8K and 10K (as well as 6K and 12K) tank cars. Additionally, there are multiple builders of tank cars and multiple models of tank cars from the same builder. As a consequence, while more subtle than with boxcars (which I said) there is a CLEAR variability between tank cars and they are not all the same.

Regards,

Bruce

Bruce Smith

From: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...>
Date: Monday, July 18, 2022 at 9:51 AM
To: "main@RealSTMFC.groups.io" <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>
Subject: [EXT] Re: [RealSTMFC] UTLX Class X Tank Car Build

Early in the war solid trainloads of CRUDE oil plus large blocks had to be moved to
east coast refineries (spread from Chesapeake Bay up to North Jersey) by rail until a huge
new pipeline "Big Inch" I think was completed in 1941 or 1942... It was practical because
large numbers of unemployed tank cars already existed.

When oil was first discovered in Texas, Oklahoma, and Louisiana there were NO pipelines.
Tens of thousands of tank cars - plain old single dome 10k 8k 12k - were needed to move the
crude and the finished products.

As pipelines were built out, tank cars were eventually in excess supply for petroleum products
for many years. Many of the available cars we have in HO scale represent cars built in small
numbers - I mean, there must be 15 models of acid tank cars, but how many have you seen in
photos?

So of course I hope the Rapido X-3 is a success, because that's one car everyone needs! :-)

On 7/18/2022 10:35 AM, Nelson Moyer wrote:

I thought oil trains ran primarily during WWII due to the danger to tankers from U-boats.

Blocks of like cars, yes, but unit trains after the war?

Nelson Moyer

Sterling, Massachusetts

Sterling, Massachusetts