Re: Northern Pacific Automobile Box Car NP 8029

Tim O'Connor

I would simply attribute what I see in the NP builder photo to unevenly planed boards i.e.
the boards are not exactly perfectly planed to the same thicknesses. With gloss paint, even a
tiny difference can become more obvious because of the reflectivity of the surface. This is
apparent in builder photos people think is "wavy" steel, and models of them with mumps... :-)

On 7/19/2022 3:01 PM, Dennis Storzek wrote:

On Tue, Jul 19, 2022 at 07:52 AM, Tim O'Connor wrote:
Attached a photo of what new horizontal sheathing usually looks like.
But Tim, the photo of NP 8029 is also of a new car. The only difference is 1) the gloss level of the paint, 2) the angle of the lighting. I have often suspected that some builders photos were taken of cars specially painted for the photo; most obvious in the photos of cars painted gray with black lettering, but why not matte finish to best show off the design features without the distracting highlights?

Dennis Storzek

Attachments:

Sterling, Massachusetts